Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!! Part 2

So….have I ever mentioned how much I hate New Years?  I really hate it.  I don’t think I can remember a New Years were I didn’t get insanely depressed.  And here are my reasons for thinking this is the worst holiday/day of the year.

First of all…New Years Eve is always a big let down…maybe it’s the missing kiss…or maybe it’s the fact that we never get drunk….the drunk people in movies always seem to be having such a great time with their hats and noisemakers bottles of champagne….or maybe it’s just the missing kiss….

And then it’s just that the whole holiday requires a certain amount of retrospection and that always leaves me feeling incredibly overwhelmed.  My life just never looks so far from what I anticipated as it does on New Years.  Not that it isn’t great….I’m just not where I thought I’d be and then I start thinking about what I could have done differently….and I just get tired trying to find a single decision I would have changed…and I can never identify one….except maybe waiting so long to grow out my bangs….and maybe some of the things I wore in the ‘80’s…and maybe the ‘90’s, too….

And finally, I also feel a need, though I fight it desperately, to make some goals and resolutions…but even as I make them….I know I will keep on doing what I have been doing….I am such a creature of habit that I seldom make some of the good changes in my life that I should….I should be a better friend and sister, co-worker and ward member…there is so much I should do that I get tired, some more, just thinking about all the goals I should make….

Anyway, now that I’ve totally depressed anyone who reads this…Happy New Year!!  Tomorrow I will go to work and the new year will have started and this annual dip in my spirits will be in the past.  It’s going to be a great year….it always is.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

I have no response to that, except for...Happy New Year!

Jenni said...

All I can say is AMEN! I thought I was the only one who got depressed on New Year's Eve and New Year's day...I'm so glad I'm not alone. Maybe next year we should consider getting drunk! What the heck, maybe this weekend!

Elmer said...

Carla, you crack me up! I like the theme for 2009...are you making t-shirts? :)

Michaelynn said...

Hey, lady. I hear you. I feel you. What an honest post. Just remember that we all go through these same unpleasant introspective periods. I find myself looking around and wondering why I haven't done more with myself all the time. There are always women who do motherhood better than I do with more on their plates and overwhelming obstacles. I'm just a mediocre person myself. And sometimes it is hard to be OK with that when I am surrounded by amazing everywhere I go. Love you!