Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Recent Books I've Read

Since I had Monday off, I allowed myself to stay in bed for the morning...part of the time reading a book on motivation...which was probably why I was actually able to get up at noon instead of just staying there all day long. So...what have I been reading? Here are a few recent highlights.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett - I actually listened to this a few months ago...but it is really one of my most favorite books of all time. If you get a chance to read or listen to it.....I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone. Just fantastic.






Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford - Not squeaky clean, but a lot of fun. I know I shouldn't feed the Austen-mania....but I can't help myself.






Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem - Not clean at all and most the characters were stoned through the whole book. To be totally honest, I'm really not sure what I thought of this book....I'm still thinking. Definitely not recommending it....though it was interesting.


Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder - A biography about a survivor of the Burundi genocide. There was no way this book was not going to be at least a little depressing, but it disturbed me more than I had expected. Fascinating story of an resilient individual. This morning in the shower (where I do my best thinking) I was struck by how grateful I am to have never in my life, feared for my life. I am actually grateful to do my taxes this year and be giving 1/3 of my salary to a government I may not always agree with, but that keeps me safe. I totally take that for granted.

I think that is enough deep thinking for today :) If you would like to see longer reviews on these and other books I'm reading....I blog them at work http://provolibrarystaffreviews.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Elmer said...

I'm in the middle of The Help right now. It's great! Thanks for giving it to me. I'm definitely recommending it for my book club.

Stacey said...

I can't believe those were the books you've read recently! Remember when I read 3 books over my 3 month summer and was so proud of myself? Thanks for the recommendations for my next year's readings.