Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My New Favorite Book!!

The Forgotten Garden
By Kate Morton

The Forgotten Garden begins with a small child, seemingly abandoned, on a boat headed for Australia. She claims to not know her name or why she carries with her a small suitcase containing an illustrated book of fairy tales and one single change of clothes. From this central point the mystery of who she is and where she came from is slowly revealed over a 100 year span of time. This book is all at once a family saga, a romance, and a mysterious tale of tragedy and redemption.

This is a spectacular piece of storytelling and a work of fiction I can easily recommend to almost anyone. The Forgotten Garden reminds me of The Thirteenth Tale but with a much better conclusion. Morton’s method of slowly unravel a complicated story is engrossing and I had a hard time setting the book down each night. By far my favorite book of the year and one I can see myself recommending for years to come.

P.S. I am totally buying this book, so if you want to borrow it....it will be available soon! :)

6 comments:

Marla said...

can't wait to read it!!!!

Mary Ann said...

Guess I better finish the book I'm reading so I can get on the waiting list for this one. By the way, I love the way you write. You should get paid to do that. Oh, wait. You do. :)

Robyn said...

Oh! I love getting book recommendations! I am excited to read it.

Elmer said...

Is this a good one for my non-controversial ward book club?

TrinEthan said...

put me on the list to borrow!

Michaelynn said...

I just put this book on my list about a week ago. I've done that with a few of the books on your blog that I'm finally catching up on. If only I had been reading it all along I would have known about these little gems earlier.